When it comes to cybersecurity, one of the most important tasks facing any organization is getting a handle on your assets. Effective PC management identifies, categorizes, and organizes your assets to ensure you’re in complete control of all your hardware, software, data, and network infrastructure.
Today’s security teams are responsible for enormous numbers of assets — more than 165,000, on average. Unfortunately, many organizations fail at PC management. Research by the Enterprise Strategy Group suggests that 73% of organizations say they have a “strong awareness” of less than 80% of their assets.
Here’s what to know about PC management and how to choose the right provider.
What Is PC Management?
PC management (also known as asset management) involves building an inventory of all your digital assets in one place. Typically, you’ll categorize your assets according to how critical and valuable they are. You’ll also keep track of your assets over time — clearly identifying and documenting any vulnerabilities and making sure the right security controls are in place at all times.
PC management isn’t a one-off task. Rather, it involves ongoing assessments, audits, and modifications to ensure your assets are always safe from the evolving landscape of threats.
Why You Should Outsource Your PC Management
You can, of course, take on the task of PC management internally. But for many organizations, outsourcing to an expert provider makes much more sense. Here’s why:
- You get expertise. Working with an expert PC management provider gives you the benefit of specialist knowledge and years of experience. These professionals manage digital assets for a living — they know and understand what’s involved better than anyone else.
- It’s cost effective. PC management providers bring their own expert teams and access to advanced tools and technology. As a result, you don’t need to invest large amounts of money into building your own internal teams and infrastructure.
- You can focus on what you do best. By outsourcing your PC management to an expert third party, you’ll free up your team to focus time and resources on their own mission-critical tasks and responsibilities.
Without a strong, well-organized PC management system in place, your computer assets will never be as secure as they could be. The right provider allows you to protect sensitive and confidential information, ensure constant effective defense against cyber threats, and maintain compliance with cybersecurity regulations.
What to Look for in a PC Management Provider
So, what does a good PC management provider look like? The answer will be different for every business, but here are some general green flags to look for in any PC management provider:
- Expertise and credentials. Your PC management provider should have solid experience helping businesses like yours and the qualifications to prove it. Look for clear evidence of results, testimonials from other clients, and any relevant certifications.
- Asset discovery and tracking capabilities. Your provider should have the tools, skills, and systems in place to identify, categorize, and track all your digital assets across your entire organization.
- A strong understanding of risk assessment. Your provider should be able to deliver comprehensive risk assessments to identify and address any vulnerabilities quickly and effectively.
- An understanding of your devices and hardware. It’s always best to work with a PC management provider that actually understands the devices your organization uses or can offer flexibility in regards to the devices it supports and the warranty, repair, and replacement options it offers.
- Compliance. Organizations today are required to follow strict laws and regulations when it comes to the safety of their assets. Your PC management provider should have an in-depth understanding of all the relevant regulations and compliance requirements to ensure you remain on the right side of the law at all times.
- A tailored approach. Your PC management provider shouldn’t just give you a one-size-fits-all solution —it should work with you to ensure its services line up with your specific needs and give you ongoing guidance and support over time.
- Clear communication. PC management is a serious business with a lot at stake. Your provider should always communicate clearly and effectively, leaving no room for confusion or feeling out of the loop. On top of that, they should provide regular updates and reports on key metrics and any security issues.
The most important thing is to find a provider that works for you and your specific needs and that you can build a trusted, long-term relationship with.
Work With DYOPATH
DYOPATH’s solution, PC Depot, is built to take care of all your asset management needs, PCs and otherwise. We ensure your organization’s crucial assets and data are kept secure while freeing up your teams to focus on their own core competencies.
We offer tracking assistance with lifestyle management and tag each device with its own unique barcode for easier maintenance. We’re manufacturer agnostic, flexible with your devices, and keep things simple. You can own the relationship with the manufacturer, or we can — it’s your choice.
Contact us today to learn more about how DYOPATH can manage and secure your assets and data.