Are you getting good enough results out of your relationship with your MSP? Or are they missing a certain je ne se quais? Business leaders often suspect their most important IT partners are underperforming long before they take steps to do anything about it. Ending an unsatisfying relationship is difficult, and organizations want to be sure their next partnership will be better before calling it quits.
Three qualities often lacking – and increasingly crucial – in MSPs are signs you may have outgrown your own IT partner:
- Lack of industry experience
- Insufficient tools and resources
- Inability to address compliance and security needs.
With that in mind, it helps to get clear on what both good and poor managed service partnerships look like to determine if yours is the source of your IT woes – and who would be better at addressing your digital needs.
Top Reasons for Dissatisfaction in Business/MSP Relationships
In our decades of experience as an industry-leading MSP, we’ve heard from countless prospective clients in varying industries about what their IT partners are lacking. No matter the field, the qualities they bring up are similar. Here are the top reasons for dissatisfaction with MSPs and the lackluster results they bring:
- Lack of institutional knowledge. Too many players in the field lack sufficient processes to serve clients’ most pressing IT needs. These organizations in turn suffer from insufficient onboarding, outdated documentation, and stagnated IT performance. If any of this sounds familiar, it’s time to switch to a provider with faster resolution timeframes and more targeted solutions.
- Under-qualified contacts quarterbacking your account. Are your partners’ best people checking in regularly to follow up and ensure you’re satisfied? You want someone who will not only implement a tailored program, but who is willing to sit down with their clients and go over historical data to drive the continuous improvement you deserve.
- Gaps in governance, regulatory compliance and security. Too many organizations are overlooking the vital role of regulatory compliance today. Once they are sold on certain security tools, they set them and forget them. This quality is also important when it comes to supporting offshore needs for clients with a global presence.
- Inadequate processing and reporting. In this respect, most MSPs have a broken process. Even a lack of a local service desk that answers phones can be a sign your MSP isn’t set up to provide you with what it takes to move forward.
Finding the Right One: What Qualities to Look for in an IT Partner
Take your time looking for an MSP that will address your most important needs, when you need it. First, do a little digging. Ask questions to ensure they are who they say they are and have the receipts and data to back up their claims.
Some key qualities to look for include:
- Breadth of services. Can they address all of your IT system, application and security needs?
- Advantages of scale. Get specifics on how their services will adapt as your organization grows and your needs evolve.
- Access to (and amount of) resources. Technology is always changing. Be sure you will have access to the most up-to-date tools and services.
- Alignment with your business strategy. A strategic partner will look at your assets as well as business goals and ensure your technology aligns with the broader organizational goals.
- Operational maturity. When it comes to managing your systems, you want an MSP to possess the reliability, consistency and resilience necessary so you’re comfortable making the leap.
Get Customized, Outsourced Solutions in Your Next IT Partner
Protect your bottom line with a partner that is truly worth it. Every organization deserves an MSP that will make the most of their financial investments in their IT. Instead of forcing you into a mold, the right partner will customize a solution based on what you truly need, allowing you to keep what still works. An MSP like DYOPATH that is widely trusted will continuously collect data and metrics so they can discuss KPIs – key performance indicators – with you on a regular basis. These best practices allow us to discover any chronic issues and drive continuous improvement with all of our partners.
The team at DYOPATH integrates security tools and processes at every level and in every service we roll out. Learn more about DYOPATH and our diverse managed services offerings by visiting our website. Schedule a call with us anytime to discuss what we can do for you!